Friday, July 6, 2012

Lardo PDX is open!

Lardo, the food cart, has received accolades from Willamette Weekly and Sunset Magazine. High praise from local food bloggers to Oprah magazine. It was a cart destined for greatness, and like many carts that I have enjoyed in the past, (Violetta/ Salt and Straw...)it was also destined for a brick and mortar store front. A real, true place to call home. I admit, I hadn't tried Lardo's cart fare. Just never made it down to it's location on Belmont. Today, though, as I was browsing through various foodie websites and monitoring Facebook I noticed that New Deal Vodka had posted about Lardo finally being open. They posted a copy of the menu.
I had to go. I was concerned about going to such a high profile opening day. I dreaded long lines and longer ticket times. I didn't give K the time to say "not today". We hustled down through rush-hour traffic to the defunct Winchell's Donuts building right across Hawthorne Blvd from my favorite cart pad, Cartopia! Although the fresh, picnicky patio area was crowded with happy diners, there was only a few people in line ahead of us in the restaurant. A large chalkboard behind the counter confirmed what FB had told me earlier. I was in for the long haul! What to try first? The Meatball Banh Mi? The Grilled Mortadella? I settled on the Pork Belly Egg and Cheese while K ordered the Double Burger Pork Belly. We decided to split an order of Lardo fries, parmesan, fried herbs, house-made ketchup. Although they have a full liquor license and some tasty looking specials on the drink board, I stuck with beer. And then came the wait. The seating inside has a little to be desired. Although attractive, not terribly comfortable. Fine for a fast food joint when you need a quick turnover but when the real wait is for the kitchen, I'm looking for something a tad more cozy. As soon as a table opened up outside Kieran and I bolted for it. And we waited some more. With all due respect this was their first night. They were extremely busy for the size kitchen they have. The staff remained cheerful and patient, why shouldn't we? I'm so happy we were patient. I know it's a cliche' to say something is worth the wait but please indulge me this...it's worth the wait. First off, the fries. When the person behind the counter asks you if you want them "Dirty" please reply with a resounding YES! The addition of pork scraps and marinated peppers will have you wondering why you hadn't done dirty before now. These fries alone are reason to return but let me tell you about the sandwiches. The Pork Belly is smoky, sweet deliciousness served on a crusty soft Fleur de Lis bun. Accented with a fresh, golden fried egg and the peppery bite of arugula and caper mayo. I have to pause quietly between bites to wipe the tears from my eyes. Nothing short of amazing. K's burger was also a crowd pleaser, fantastically flavorful and topped with Pork Belly and the now famous Lardo sauce. Simply fabulous. I won't wait to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment